Permitted Paid Engagement visa

The Permitted Paid Engagement visa is for those who wish to come to the UK for a short period to do specific paid work without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system.

A. Requirements

1. You must be 18 or over.

2. You will need to demonstrate that you only intend to visit the UK for a short period – for less than 1 month.

3. You must intend to leave the UK after the end of your visit and demonstrate that you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey.

4. You must show that you have sufficient funds to maintain and accommodate yourself without help from public funds.

B. Activities permitted on a paid engagement visa

  • You can be a student examiner or assessor.
  • You can take part in selection panels for the education, arts or research organisation you’re invited by as a highly qualified academic. 
  • You can give lectures, as long as you’re not in a formal teaching role. 
  • You can examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from, by invitation of an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority. 
  • You can provide advocacy in a particular area of law. 
  • You can take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting. 
  • You can take part in fashion modelling assignments.

C. Activities not permitted on a paid engagement visa

  • You cannot do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what’s allowed by your visa.
  • You cannot extend this visa or switch to another visa.
  • You cannot live in the UK for extended periods.
  • You cannot get public funds.
  • You cannot study.
  • You cannot marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership.
  • You cannot get private medical treatment.
  • You cannot bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately.

D. Documents required

If you wish to apply for a permitted paid engagement visa, you should ensure that you have the following documentation:

  • Proof that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months.
  • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa.
  • A formal invitation from the organisation or authority you’ll be paid by.
  • Proof that the paid engagement relates to your expertise, qualifications and main job in your home country, eg a letter from your employer

E. Extension

The maximum you can stay in the UK is less than one month. You cannot extend this visa.

Please note that upon the expiry of your visa, you are required to leave the UK. If you stay beyond the expiry of your visa, you will remain illegally in the UK and you will be considered an “overstayer”. This may have an adverse impact on your immigration record and is likely to affect any future UK immigration applications. This could even result in you being banned from re-entering the UK for a certain period of time.

F. Right of Appeal

Applicants can be refused a visa to enter the UK on a permitted paid engagement visa.

There is no right of appeal against the Entry Clearance Officers decision to refuse any permitted paid visa application. We therefore advise that if applicants have been refused a visa, please seek legal advice on the procedure for submitting a fresh application.

In case of a permitted paid engagement visa refusal, the only judicial remedy is Judicial Review. This is where a Judge reviews the lawfulness of a decision or action made by the British Embassy/Home Office in the High Court. If you wish to explore this option further then please contact us to arrange a consultation.

G. Our Services

  • We can advise on the procedure of making a ‘permitted paid engagement visa’ application and discuss the merits of your application.
  • We can advise on the evidence required for the entry clearance application.
  • We can prepare your ‘permitted paid engagement’ visa application.
back to top